Tuesday, April 25, 2006

So, Guatemala is changing.

And so is the rest of Central America, I think.
Its beginning to be a daily occurance, big rain storms, often with lightening. And Im still planning to go riding a very long ways. Rain like this I havent seen in Guatemala, up until now. I was actually bombarded with mud on my ride in to Antigua this morning, and I thought, what the hell is this? But its so, so beautiful to see rain and storms again..These pictures were taken from the roof of Maya Pedal. We can hear and feel the storms long before they get to us.. the increased humidity and decreased temperature.. and the booming thunder. Its very intersting, because the storms always seem to come from across the flatlands in front of us.. we can see the huge sheets of rain and lightening before we even get wet.

So, today I hiked my first ever Volcano. Her name is Pacaya.
To get the facts strait.. I would potentially work for a company called Guatemala Ventures, not the Old Town Outfitters shop. This one does the same sort of things though.
The volcano hike (more of a walk) was free from Guatemala Ventures.. along with a free tastey lunch... and a free testride on a halfway-decent mountainbike.. and a free really good frickin pinapple danish thing which Im eating now while using free internet. Hmm. Along with a free place to live (Im allowed to continue living in Maya Pedal, for free).. this aint half bad. Wow.

But still, I have this crazy drive to actually do what I set out to accomplish.. to ride to Nicaragua. And I really dont know where either option ahead of me would take me (speaking non-geographically), so this is a really hard decision.



For right now, Ive decided to leave for a couple of days on bike, to just get a feel for travelling around with a tent and a backpack in Central America. Itll give me some more clarity of thought too, I hope.

The funny thing too is that my two options that Im currently thinking about, are just some of the things I could do. I could head off on bike and try and get a job in another country, I could actually go and volunteer with QuetzalTrekkers like I wanted to..

So many possibilities.

Thunder's picking up again, already started raining. Peace out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home