Thursday, April 20, 2006

Lanquin & Semuc Champey

Semuc Champey and Lanquin are located West about 50km of Coban, and like 6 hours by bus North of Guatemala City. I went here on.. erm, the 11th to the 13th of Feburary.
What Semuc Champey is is a large fast-moving river, that magically obtained a 400m long chunk of limestone on top of it.
My trip out there was fairly mindblowing at the time, because I went from a very dry, and hot climate to a very humid forest. We left Coban at 5 in the morning, and we were greeted by a lightening storm and pounding rain (I handnt seen anything that resembled humidity or rain since I got there). It took us 2 1/2 hours to drive the 50km in the cramped oversized van, the roads were quite intense and washed out.

Side note: I have a new-found appreciation for intensely overloaded, 4x4 Toyota passenger vans. Those things kick ass.
So, Semuc Champey was gorgeous. Nuff said.
The Caves near Semuc Champey were absolutely astounding (I love that word). One needed us to swim in as we entered, holding candles (it is not the above picture, unfortunately). The other was absolutely massive, and after the lights were turned off (7km of cave, first 50m conviently had overhead lighting), there were a healthy amount of bats. From my mass email at that time:

We went caving there too and saw bats so thick that it was similar to beingcovered in honey in a swarm of bees (but its toxic honey so they dontactualy land on you, but you could probably breathe one in if you tried. They were really, really thick.)

Where we stayed..

Wow, look how clean my clothes are.. that shirt is now somewhere in Honduras, doing its own shirt kinda things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home