Thursday, April 20, 2006

Maya Pedal & San Andreas Itzapa

Above: A sweeet bike that Steve just finished making, and the new exterior of Maya Pedal, thanks to two awesome people Tova and Ky.


So, two weeks after I got into Guatemala, I moved to a town a half-hour away called San Andreas Itzapa, where Maya Pedal is located. Maya Pedal (www.mayapedal.org ) and Izapa have been one of my favorite places on the planet, and I plan to return, if not once than numerous times. Im already planning to come back and visit on my way out of Central America, and have tenative plans in mind to come down next year...
The people of Itzapa are definately noteworthy. Id like to think they represent the larger population of Guatemala, but I dont really know. From what Ive seen though, they do pretty well. They´re very friendly, and generous, and trusting.. the children of Itzapa are equally, if not more noteworthy (that being said, I communicate a lot more often with children than I do adults). I have many good friends under the age of ten (which is a norm for me, even in Canada..).

The children are potentially the greatest part of the experience of living in Itzapa. No matter how long you leave for, no matter how tired and miserable you feel when you return, the children run and excitedly greet you in the street yelling your name. No matter how long youve been working for, no matter how many bikes kicked your ass that day in the shop, the children always come by asking if you can come and play.

There´s a family that lives close by to Maya Pedal, which the volunteers have come to support. The three kids in the above photo include them. We often cook food for them; Maya Pedal is kind of a second home it would seem.

Recent picture of me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, I was just doing some research on Antigua, Guatemala and especially the towns of San Andres Itzapa and Santa Maria de Jesus and found you. I am considering volunteering with Mayan children teaching English and Spanish through Global Vision International for three weeks. You sound like you really like Itzapa and I thought you might give me some info to help me decide whether or not to pull the trigger. I am a 32 year old female, married, and going through a job change. I am looking for a way to do some volunteering, work on my Spanish skills, and decide if I am really interested in going into elementary education. From your blog you sound like you really like the kids in town and might even know some of them whom have been or are currently attending school with GVI. I am really interested in this project but want to be sure this is something the local families actually want in their lives because I would NEVER think of this as any sort of mission trip. Any info you could give me would really help. Thanks a ton!

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You recognize, people each time enact comments when anything is predicted to come to pass in 2012, like “fairly that is if the faction is subdue here.” You do achieve that the Mayans prognosticate the faction will end on Dec. 21 (or 23rd)? So in all strong if anything is booming to happen in 2012 there is solitary the slimmest feasibility that the everybody hand down contain ended before it happens.
[url=http://2012earth.net/eschatology.html
]Apocalypse 2012
[/url] - some truth about 2012

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I keep coming to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here manwomb.blogspot.com. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Recent Scientific Research points that almost 70% of all USA grownups are either chubby or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? Quick weight loss can be achived with little effort. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous WENZ said...

Very good. Nice work in place Itzapa. Goog Luck

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home