Thursday, July 06, 2006

Brazil

So, once apon a time. A time that was really a long time ago, almost 4 or 5 days long. Well, less.

Kristy, my partner in awesome adventure making. Yes, hes holding a machette. Our guide, hacking away like a mad man, and cutting us a trail. While standing in a canoe.A beautiful and large spider.A shelter that was built by our guide, in about half an hour... we slept in hammocks in the middle of the amazon. These branches that are leaning over our hammocks are actually the "leaves" of the trees we cut them off.. I think.. Manaus, Brazil. Headquarters for all that is the Brazillian Jungle Amazon Experience.. according to our guide books.

So, yes, we went to the amazon. It kicked serios hiney. Seriously.
Except for the strange jungle bees, by which we were stung. It felt like a small hole had been drilled into my neck, into the muscle.. Very strong pain. I then learned that the very large bee that stung me (size of an obese horsefly) was actually the small, less dangerous kind.. There is apparently a larger kind, 2 to 3 inches long, capable of giving a person intense fevers and muscle pain for weeks. I felt lucky to be stung by the less serious kind...
And then I learned about a third kind of bee, which will swarm and chase you if you pass through the vacinity of their nest, and follow you for miles. The only way to escape, is reach a body of water, submerge yourself, and wait. But if they catch you, more than 15 stings from these can kill you.
Again, I felt lucky.

Ive decided that the amazon would be an amazing place to grow up. Besides the bees, the dozens of types of highly venomous snakes, frogs, and lizards, and the billions of venomous ants, I believe the overall experience would be an awesome one. Many of the trees are very thin and tall, perfect for building sweet things like forts for battle with said venomous creatures. And then thereĀ“s the palm leaves, which are easy to cut down, light enough to drag around, and strong enough to do many things with (like build shelters for hammock sleeping).. the possibilities are truely and utterly (heh.. udder) endless.

The above pictures of the forest filled with water, and us in canoes, are.. cool. The forest is 2/3rds submerged, 2/3rds of the trees are under water. At times, it felt like we were paddling through treetops. Truely awesome.

The night before, we canoed through a portion of that forest aswell, in search for piranas (went fishing with chunks of raw chicken on our hooks.. :D). Got bites, we fed them up good. But they didnt fill up us, we caught none.

my BROTHER AND SISTER AND ROB MADE IT TO COSTA RICA.. my god, I was so happy to see them. Lots of tears. And random huge group hugs. And smiling so much our faces hurt. And random statements of, "Man, I love you. I missed you."
Things are good. Our plans are to bus tomorrow to the place where my buddy Eddie the blackman lives, to chill out with his family and him for a couple days while I retrieve my bicycle from Panama. From there, we ride north to Nicaragua, in search of adventure and cheap spanish school. The next two months are going to be amazing.

Anyways, Im going to take my little brother to a bar. He hasnt been to one before.

Take care family/friends and world.
Love,
Tyler

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home